Saturday, May 10, 2008

With apologies to T.S. Eliot


The naming of chickens is a difficult matter.
So far, each of our chickens has had THREE DIFFERENT NAMES.

But, there's no poetry involved - we just can't agree.

Greg and I both think that old-fashioned names fit best. So we cooked up a trio of very nice, old-fashioned names for the three of them, and they were automatically rejected by our kids, who have a lousy track record of naming birds.

The leghorn has variously been named Wilma, Phad Thai and Blaze. In truth, I think I will always think of her (I hope it's a her!) as The Leghorn. Or Hawk, because she has a hawk-like face.

The bantie has a few names, including Gertrude.

The Americauna has been christened Mathilda, but we all keep referring to her as Baby, because she's still the roundest, littlest, cutest chicken of the three.

I don't know if any of these names will ever stick, so we may just end up calling them The Chickens.

No comments: